I spent the summer installing wood floors, took twice as long as I had planned. But it's done, and by the skin of my teeth just in time for my kids visit the early part of September. Finished installing flooring on a Friday, trimmed out the living room on Saturday, my sister helped me move the furniture back in place (it took longer to kill the dust bunnies) and by early Monday my kids were here and the house was pretty much back in order. I made sure to buy the right tools and the job was made so much easier, well worth the investment in tools. Anyway while my kids were here my daughter and I worked on her wedding dress and I have to finish the alterations this week. For a break from all of these "heavy" projects I decided to work on a couple fun projects, my stuffed pumpkins that can be seen at......http://www.etsy.com/listing/82638200/p-u-m-p-k-i-n-cotton-brown-orange and the above candle mats and they can be seen at......http://www.etsy.com/listing/83124363/kaleidoscope-quilted-reversible-candle.
Some time ago I was contacted by Lark Publishing to be part of their "Craft Challenge - Dozens of ways to repurpose Scarves".
The quilt I made was included in their current book. The first thing I noticed was....they spelled my name right :). That also was the first thing my sister noticed.
These are pics of my personal copy. You can get one of your own.....soon.
These are some of the scarves I started with.
Above are the scarves ready to cut into squares for the back and borders for the front.
I really like how the front turned out. I didn't want to cut up one of my favorite bordered scarves so I worked out a way to use it as the center focus piece.
I used an 80/20 cotton/poly batting and free motion quilting. This quilt I am keeping for myself. It currently is draped over the back of my chair at work You can see other quilts and project at my shop simpledream2.etsy.com
I've been working on a nap sized quilt based on the above design and hope to get it finished this weekend and posted in the shop.
...also, 2 more kaleidoscope 20x20 zippered pillow covers. The fronts are based on the same pattern strips as these below, with some different fabrics ...... the backs are based on the quilt back (above). I had enough of this left over from the color range quilt back that I pieced up backs for the pillows.
check simpledream2.etsy.com this weekend for the shop update.
Last Fall when my Mom came over for coffee one day she brought an old pair of my brothers jeans and said "here you might do something with these". The "do something" is usually adding them to my stack(s) of jeans, for a project I'll get to later. This time I immediately had in mind a quilt for my brother based on past quilt designs I've sold in my shop. I cut up the jeans into 5" squares and since I have several boxes of pre-cut 5" squares and 2" strips the top was quickly put together. The back was from some plaid yardage and a blue men's shirt I recycled, plus a few framed squares left over from the front. Needless to say the completed top and back of this nap sized quilt sat around until a couple weeks ago when after getting the creative juices flowing again from making several quilted items I got the thing quilted. While sitting in front of the fire and watching tv last weekend I got the binding attached. Viola.....quilt done....not quite. Between work and family it took the rest of the week to get the belt loop stitched on and the tag personalized. At a family dinner at Mom's yesterday I gave my brother his quilt. He was surprised and so pleased....he hugged me....that's a big thing because my brother is not a hugger. As I watched my 2 sisters and Mom react I won't be surprised if they hand me some of their old jeans "to do something with".................
Here are photos of my newest quilt........color range.
Here's the backside of the quilt. Plaids, checks all work so well together in this quilt.
I couldn't get a better photo of the front side. But you can still see the gradiant color range. It's just been posted in my shop. Check it out. http://www.etsy.com/listing/69789884/color-range-quilt48-x-48
Like everyone else I've been busy, but not with much sewing. I tend to go in spurts and was hoping to get some quilts done this winter and so far this is the only one that I've finished. Several more tops/backs are done just not put together to quilt. For some reason I'm not too pressured this year. Maybe it was all the pumpkins I stitched/stuffed and sold this Fall (next year I'll start earlier on these, stay tuned). Here are some of the things I've enjoyed making.
I've found a way to use up some of my scraps.
It's fun and turned out nice. I'm currently making 2 kaleidoscope pillow covers.
Here's the back of the quilt.
This is one of several banners I made from a well loved cutter quilt. I was also able to get 3 pillow covers from this quilt.
A Fall show at Bakers Creek Seed near Mansfield, Missouri.